Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I'M NOT SINGING !

I'm having so much fun doing a play, I mean a non-musical. It occurred to me today that it's been waaay too long. I actually had to stop and think about the last play I did and realized that it was "Caesar & Cleopatra" , Newton's final show at Shaw in 2002. Since then it's been musical after musical, "Rocky Horror...(see profile photo)", "Best Little Whorehouse", "Oh, Coward", "Beauty & The Beast" ....on and on. To arrive at the theatre for rehearsal, knowing that I don't have to sing a note, thrills me. Of course, the thrill is short lived since the run of "Dial M..." is too, but I will cherish every second.

We did another run thru today. I think we're in great shape, and our director seems to think so too. I'm at that stage where I'm trying to let go, trusting that all that we've talked about is in place...just letting it happen rather than MAKING it happen, rather than ACTING!! My scene with James today was full of wonderful surprises, for and from both of us.

The strangulation scene with Deb is also starting to feel great. We are both very comfortable with each other and our moves and are totally trusting of each other. Everyone keeps telling us that it looks very real and is a bit uncomfortable to watch. EXCELLENT! Now we're just trying to make sure to time everything with the music for maximum effect. I need to remember to breathe !!!! I get so caught up in the scene, and making grunting noises as though I'm putting a great deal of effort into strangling her. Then, when she stabs me, it's just such an automatic reaction to hold my breath. None of this, in itself is bad, but I need to lie dead on the stage during the scene as it continues for the next 5 or 6 minutes, and it just won't do to have my chest heaving because I've been holding my breath. Oh, and I also need to practice keeping my eyes open. (yah, I'm in acting for that glamour) The script makes mention of "...those horrible, staring eyes.." so there I am, contacts slowly adhering to my eyeballs, focusing on NOT blinking. This especially difficult when James comes to roll me over and start searching my pockets.

The things I won't do to tell you people a good story.

No comments: