Monday, March 23, 2009

DIRTY ROTTEN CORPUS CHRISTI, TX

|"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" on tour...

Our hotel is right on the waterfront, not beach, but seawall walk. I luck into a room on the 17th floor with a balcony that faces the ocean (photo). Since it is that odd hour of day (3 p.m.) when restaurants simply can't decide if they can still call your meal "lunch", the places in the hotel have simply closed until 5 so as to rid themselves of the problem. Also, I am not particularly interested in combing through downtown Corpus Christi, which gets seamier and seamier the further away from the seawall you get. So....I decide to order room service and sit on my balcony, watching the pelicans, the
yappy, black-faced gulls (actually called Laughing Gulls), the cranes and the giant oil tankers that cruise in and out of the bay. I order a Caesar Salad and a martini and drag my easy chair onto the balcony. Cost of turning the balcony into a private dining room for one? Well, let's just say that it's more than a lite lunch for two with wine.....and it's worth every penny.

The theatre is only a few blocks down the seawalk, so I leave early enough to take my time and enjoy the wind and water. Halfway there, I get a call from the stage manager. Apparently, the show is at 7:00, NOT 7:30, I laugh out loud at such a glaringly gigantic miscommunication going un-noticed by so many people for so long. Fortunately, does not have too many sparkly distractions and the cast has not scattered too far, so everyone makes it to the theatre in plenty of time.

Because Harlingen, TX has cancelled, we have a bonus day in Corpus Christi which means Michael and I can have a play day. Uncharacteristically, I leave the balcony door open for him when to we go sleep because he likes the air flow and morning sunlight. The sacrifice on my part is being woken by the gulls at first light, (Michael can sleep through a war) although the fact that I can open my eyes and see the ocean softens my crankiness. Our plan is to spend the day at the beach, but the wind coming in from the gulf makes is difficult. Walking down the seawalk we are, at times, forced to lean into the wind in order to not be blown over. Before we even reach the beach, we can see that most of it is being blown up onto the roadway. We decide to abort and head back to the hotel pool. Even on the pool deck, the wind is hard to take. At one point, eight deck loungers simultaneously slide five feet across the deck. It's like being in a scene from "Poltergeist". Still, we tough it out for a few hours, enjoying the warmth, the hot tub and the company.

The plan for the evening is to inhabit one of the local seafood restaurants for fresh oysters and other delectables from the sea.

No comments: