Sunday, March 29, 2009

DIRTY ROTTEN CHEYENNE, WY

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" on tour...

We are staying at the historic Plains Hotel in downtown Cheyenne. It's been sitting on this corner of the Wyoming prairie since 1911 and it really is a trip into the past. (Please click the link, it's worth it just for the welcome music) It's very easy to imagine the pioneers, ranchers and ladies of the day walking these halls 'cause very little has changed. There's even a hissing radiator at the end of the hall. My room is almost big enough for the king sized bed, small desk and armoire that holds the t.v. Though I don't think the bathroom is original, I'm positive the sink has been there since the 30's. Downtown Cheyenne is in about as much trouble as every other downtown in North America. You know it's bad when retail stores are closed on Saturdays. Most of the downtown is devoted to all things cowboy and I am drawn into a large and, apparently famous western wear store that has been around since 1943. I can't stop myself from buying a black and white cowboy shirt, complete with snaps instead of buttons. As I walk the streets I can't help but giggle at how kitchy all the western-y stuff is. It occurs to me that the locals probably don't think of it as kitchy all. The show is, well, ..... a show. Not great. Not terrible. Just a way for a vast number of people to kill a few hours together. We do, however, have to break out the oxygen tank again. We've spent the last little while traveling around The Gulf of Mexico, at sea level, and are suddenly at a much higher elevation. Even after my less than strenuous number I find that I am dizzy and breathless. Including a random pic. that Howard took of me, sitting outside during intermission in Corpus Christi.

No comments: