Wednesday, March 11, 2009

DIRTY ROTTEN BATON ROUGE (performance day)

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" on tour...

The 'free wireless internet' has been out for over 24 hours. I figure that, since I'm meeting Michael downtown in the afternoon anyway, I might as well take my computer and hunt for a wireless signal. I find a bench in the park by the art gallery and pirate the wireless signal from The Hilton. Eventually, my concentration begins to wander and my eyelids droop. I lie down on the bench, in the shade of a gigantic magnolia tree and drift away for an afternoon nap. Bliss.

I meet Michael at the art gallery at 3 and we enjoy the extensive Rodin exhibit. Then we go to the top floor of the gallery and have some fantastic sushi while watching the ships and barges work up and down the river.

The River Centre (sorry, CentER), where we're performing, was built in '77 and is definitely showing it's age and more than a few signs of neglect. They are in the process of renovation and sprucing the place up which is good, but it means there are no lights around the make-up mirrors in the dressing rooms, which is bad. All we have to work with is one shadowy pot light in the ceiling. Mind you, it's easy to look beautiful in the dark. I also note that the floor in either corner behind the toilet in my bathroom probably hasn't been cleaned since 1979.

The auditorium itself is huge and packed and the crowd is hot! Double hot when you consider that they have to deal with the constant distraction of a man on the downstage right corner of the stage who is waving his arms around. Yes, this performance is being simultaneously translated into ASL for the hearing impaired. (Ask me sometime to show you the sign language for "hummer in my Hummer" and "fresh shaved testicles", both of which are song lyrics in the show). It takes all of us a little time to learn to ignore the translator, though the band is very entertained by watching him. I ask him how he's going to suggest my French accent in his signing and he tells me that he actually does know a few French signs and will throw them in now and then for 'flavour'.

Our fun is dampened somewhat when Gabe complains of severe and debilitating lower back (kidney) pains and leaves the show at intermission to go to the hospital. After an emergency meeting, we are back on track with a slightly adjusted and re-blocked version of Act II. (The next morning we learn that Gabe most probably passed a stone, thus the pain!)

No comments: