Thursday, January 12, 2006

TOO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT TOO LITTLE

I had to take the car in for an oil change today. There’s a little café across the street where I usually wait. LAINEY’S - Homecooked meals with a flair!. Now, I don’t know what Lainey thinks ‘flair’ means, the food is your standard, back-end-of-the-city, hidden-in-a-nasty-strip mall eatery. And for what it is, it’s pretty good. They used to do a mean hot turkey sandwich, but I see that’s been taken off the menu. ANYWAY…lots of seniors in there when I went in today. Must be the lunch rush. Here are some snippets of conversations I heard from the table around me.

Table 1. 4 old gals.

“That’s two good meals I had today”
“Well I should say so! You had pancakes this morning for Pete’s sake!”

Table 2, a very elderly man is eating his pie. The woman critiques.
“Well it LOOKS homemade. That pastry is old though.” (She picks from his plate) “Look at that, it’s not flaking, it’s peeling !”

Table 3, two blue-collar guys
“I don’t lie on the beach here in the summer. Don’t know why I’d pay all that money to go do it in one o’ THEM places.
“Well, you could lie in the shade.”
…and then, later on…
“I guess she’s a good cook, eh? They say she don’t measure nothing’ or this that n’ th’other. Lived with the Mennonites or the Amish to get the recipes.”

Table 4, a pair of old gals.
“Darlene, come ‘ere, quick. There’s a guy out there takin’ pitchers. He took one this way first. Look, he’s still takin’ ‘em. Now he’s taken one the other way. Like I says, he took one this way first, eh? People got too much time.”

If some yob taking pictures in a parking lot ever excites me that much, please feel free to drive a stake through my heart.

No comments: