Wednesday, January 07, 2009

DIRTY ROTTEN FRESNO

The hotel we are staying at is one of those multi-storied, open atrium affairs. Think of the scene in Mel Brook's "High Anxiety", shot in the San Francisco Hyatt Regency and you'll get the picture. There is currently a convention of bee keepers staying at the hotel (though officially they are The Honey Producers of America). I strike up a conversation with one of them while waiting for a cab. I mention that I'm a big supporter of local honey and have good access to it living in Southern Ontario. He assumes I am from Australia. Must be my accent.

The theatre is right across the street from the hotel...the only reason I can think of to be staying in downtown Fresno. (Three nice things I can say about downtown Fresno: There are palm trees. The Radisson has good beds. There are palm trees.) Though the auditorium itself is a bit lacking in personality, the dressing rooms are deluxe and the green room has two super-duper-deluxe massage chairs that the cast keeps fighting over. These are not your 'as seen on TV' crap chairs that they demonstrate at home fairs. These are gigantic black leather affairs worth thousands of dollars that squeeze your arms and legs, kneed and pound every part of your back and thighs and talk to you via the giant control panel that allows you to customize your massage experience.

Keely does indeed end up going on for Heather (one of the lead roles) and does a really terrific job. The audience is probably one of the best we've ever had and is right there with us from the very first syllable. It is a great way to start this next leg of the tour and the lobby lounge is full of noise and celebration after the show. I suspect that several of the boys continued their celebrating well into the morning by joining the poker at the 'card room' around the corner from the hotel.

Oh, and just in case you are experiencing any jealously at all that we are in California, let it go. True, there is no snow, but I have yet to take my coat off and I could see my breath as we left the theatre last night. It is grey, wet and cold.

No comments: