Saturday, March 26, 2011

MAKING OF...

We are finally starting to see the pay off for the endless rounds of media calls that we faced earlier in the month. We will probably not see many of the pieces that we were interviewed for as they'll appear in other countries, but the Singapore coverage has definitely reached a new level.

Here is the trailer from the official "Making of..." program that was being filmed throughout rehearsals. I haven't seen the actual show, of course, because it airs while I'm on stage.






This is a photo from the Marina Bay Sands magazine SANDS STYLE, a luxury lifestyle mag. (They're big on the word 'lifestyle' here) The article contains a number of really beautiful photographs taken during rehearsal, and a lengthy interview with John, our director. I'm not certain why the editors thought that this particular shot of John & I was the best pick. 'Action shot' perhaps?




Social media is also doing it's part to promote the show. Photos and videos, most of them illegal, are starting to appear all over the internet. Here's a shot, taken from the audience, during our curtain call one night. I've noticed that our audiences pretty much totally ignore the pointed "No photos or videos" warning at the beginning of the show.



And here's a shot, that has nothing to do with publicity, taken during something called a "Five Minute Party". This is, apparently, a traditional event that happens on short notice in the hair and make up room. The idea is that, during the intermission, you drop in for a minute or two, push a bunch of junk food into your face, dance briefly to the pounding music and then race to where you need to be to start Act II.


This past week went well, though I admit that I was particularly tired by the end of it. Doing five performances of this baby over the course of a weekend is a pretty intense marathon. During the Sunday afternoon show, I was so tired that, while I was waiting for my final entrance of Act I, I was standing in the wings, leaning against the fog tanks, and I closed my eyes for a moment. In that moment, I actually started to fall asleep.....standing up. Me, who can't even fall asleep sitting on a plane. In order to make it through the evening show I had a nap, hoovered a big plate of pasta and downed a double-shot blended latte. It worked.

1 comment:

rob said...

Patrick!! I just recently found your blog! Actually, Michael gave Alex crap for not telling me about it and then made me sit at the computer at the tasting bar at Ravine to look at it (not that I objected at all!). Freaking looks amaaaaaazing!!! Frig I watched a couple videos and had to stop myself from pulling out my credit card and buying a plane ticket and a show ticket to Singapore. You know, I've always wanted to go to Singapore....

Sounds like the time of... of a lifetime! Hope you're having fun and getting enough rest, love the blog and definitely check it regularly now. Miss your face around Ravine!

Best,

Robyn (you know, Alex's better half)