Monday, October 04, 2010

IT'S CALLED AN INDICATOR

I'd just like to clarify something since there seems to be a great deal of confusion out there. That stick, poking out on the left hand side of the steering column in your car? Depending on the make and model of your car, it probably does a variety of things, but it's PRIMARY purpose is to serve as your 'turn indicator', also called your 'signal light'.

Now, I think the confusion lies in a lack of understanding of the definition of the terms 'indicate' or 'signal'.

INDICATE - To show the way to or the direction of. To point out.
...as in, "I'm using this little stick to indicate my intention to turn.

SIGNAL - A non-verbal action that sends a message. A coloured light as a means of communication.
...as in, "Because I have used my signal light, you are now aware of the fact that I will be turning left."

Let's be clear on the meaning of these terms. The little stick is meant to 'indicate' or 'signal' some action that has NOT occurred yet, your intention to turn. If you use the little stick AS YOU ARE COMPLETING THE TURN, then you have mis-understood the meaning of the words. If it is your habit to brake, and then, in mid-turn, flash your turn signal once or twice, you have created a Turn Confirmation and are not using the little stick to it's intended purpose. I do not need to see the flash of light as you are turning because I can see that you are turning. I would prefer to know that the reason you had been gradually slowing down to a crawl during the last kilometer was because you were intending to turn.

Let's make a pact. You will indicate, in advance of braking or slowing down, your intention to turn, and I will swear not to force you into the ditch, drag you from your car by the hair, and slam my hatch-back down your head a few times.

No comments: