Saturday, October 02, 2010

THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS

There have been a few significant events in the past week or two that have forced me to face the fact that the countdown to departure, whether I'm ready for it or not, has begun. When people have asked me if I'm starting to get excited yet about leaving, I've answered, quite honestly, that I've been intentionally NOT getting excited because my departure is still a few months away. That being said, pages are being turned and everything seems to have picked up a tiny bit of speed, a momentum that, though subtle, is definitely noticeable.

Here, in order, are the events that, collectively, have pulled me toward the centrifugal core of un-stoppable forward motion...

1) I got some bonus money.

Multitudes of people on several continents know by now that the production was significantly delayed. A contract that was initially going to open in October, is now opening in March. In a gesture that speaks volumes about generosity, confidence and commitment, the production company offered some money to help ease the financial burden of such a long delay. A way of partially compensating for income that might have been lost if one turned down work before the delay was announced.

2) I worked my last shift as a server

Yes, another season of flinging high-priced poutine at the ignorant and the indolent is over. How I'll miss growing a beard whilst the Mensa candidates try to decipher the menu. I'll yearn for the sound of ingrates and hillbillys mispronouncing 'tagliatelle', and 'Riesling'. My life will be a little more empty because I'm not running bread and water to a table of people who are so cheap that they're sharing a bowl of soup.

3) The tickets have gone on sale

Not general sale yet, just priority booking special offers, but still, money is changing hands so an opening night curtain is imminent.

For better or for worse, I have other work that will keep my focus (mostly) away from South East Asia for the next few weeks. That doesn't mean that I'm not still compiling a gigantic list of restaurants that I want to eat at in Singapore.

No comments: