Tuesday, May 05, 2015

THE SPA CHRONICLES: Who's The Boss



Because of the huge time difference between North America and Thailand, I usually start my mornings with some form of communication with PP. The time when I’m starting my first morning coffee is often, depending on what time zone I’m in,  about the same time that they start winding down for the night at the spa. 

The book keeping/receipts often need clarification


On this particular morning, I turn my phone on to find an explosion of messages from Ajay and PP. PP is mad at Ajay for managing from a distance and for telling him what to do. Ajay is mad at PP for not communicating or dropping off reports/receipts on a daily basis. Or at least this is what I can glean from the group conversation because some of it is in Thai and some of it is in PP’s badly translated English. Example: “I feel tired and discouraged incident that often, I’m doing my best. You’re looking at that I’m a bad person.”






The whole thing feels like an argument between siblings, and I have no choice but to play the parent. PP refuses to talk to Ajay and cuts him out of our group chat on the app we use for texting, and Ajay is pissed because PP won’t do as he’s told. They both have some valid points to their arguments, but they are also both very stubborn. I decide to stand with PP on this one since Ajay’s communication with me is as bad as ever, and his interest in having a hand in running Sairoong seems non-existent. I assume that giving PP more responsibility will soothe his ego and keep him busy. However, I make a point of reminding PP that he is an employee and, present or not, Ajay is legally a co-owner of the spa and is therefore still a big boss. 

Empty streets means too much time to think about arguing

Even the bar next door is quiet


By the time this shift in power begins, it has been over six months since I bought the spa and returned to work in America. The current situation is the confirmation I need to finally accept that there can be no real change, growth or resolution until I return and see for myself what is really going on. I arrange one week off and book flights to return to Samui to knock some heads together.

PP continues to ask me when I am coming back to Samui, but I evade him because I want to make a surprise inspection. Over time, my non-answers seem to really be getting to him and he pushes harder each time he asks. When my arrival date is only a few weeks away, he loses his shit and demands that I tell him the dates because he wants to take some time off to go home and doesn’t want to miss me. I relent and give him the info.

A short time after that, I get a text from PP telling me that he wants to fire one of the staff, Mr. Nut. He suspects that Mr. Nut is using drugs, also he does not help clean the spa and pressures customers for tips. PP says that he has given Nut many warnings but “he does not update himself”. I tell PP that if Nut has drugs at the spa, then he must be fired because I will not tolerate another police incident, but I stress that PP must be absolutely certain before taking action. 

Two days later, PP tells me that he is feeling a great sense of relief because Mr. Nut is gone. He no longer feels that he has to worry about police coming to the spa.

In a way, I am also relieved because we had too many staff anyway since business is so slow, but in the back of my mind, red lights are flashing,  and the clanging of alarm bells is growing louder.

Next chapter: SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO GO ALL THE WAY


No comments: