Sunday, June 30, 2013

TULSA AND I WORK IT OUT

So, Tulsa, we've had a fair amount of time alone together, you and I. I thought it was time that we had a relationship review. I'll go first.

You know, in many ways, you remind me of Lethbridge, or at least the Lethbridge I remember from my childhood. Not much to look at, but a good heart and a willingness to please. I'm not saying that you're ugly, and I certainly appreciate the steps you're taking to spruce yourself up with a hip, new look. I'm just saying that you're a work in progress and I applaud every step that you're taking. 

You'll have to forgive me if it's taken me some time to get used to your pace. Remember, I just came out of a relationship with New York City and the two of you are very, very different. For example, when I make a purchase in NYC and I say, "Thank you", the normal, expected response is, "NEXT CUSTOMER!". When I make a purchase here and I say, "Thank you", I'm still a little surprised when the response is, "Uh huh, you're welcome, hun. You enjoy the rest of your day now." Truth is, you're never in too much of a hurry to get anywhere or do anything, Tulsa, and while that's not always a bad thing, it does take some getting used to.

It's become clear that you have a love for the arts, and that makes me happy. Your symphony, your ballet, your varied theatre options. This is one of the surprising things about you, Tulsa, in a good way. 

My only major complaint about you, really, is that I find you a bit, well, empty at your core. There is something lacking at your center. This has been a problem with many of the cities I've had relationships with, of course, so perhaps I need to ask myself why I keep coming back to cities like you, but that's another discussion. 

To sum up, I adore your big sky and wide open spaces, your sparkling new arts performance and education facilities, your parks, your sense of history and your honest, down-home friendliness. And, while I'm glad I met you, I don't think we could ever have anything more than a short-term relationship. Maybe that's my problem and not yours, but this isn't really about blame. It's about what's right for both of us. Let's do our best to enjoy each other while we can, knowing that both of us will move on.

And one more thing, I know it's not really your fault, but your oppressive heat can be a little hard to take sometimes. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are posting to your blog again Patrick,I really enjoy your writing!

Alison Press (Ruth and Joes's daughter in Ottawa)