Friday, April 13, 2012

VISITING REUBEN...AGAIN

My most recent Reuben was at Untitled, the cafe inside The Whitney Museum of American Art.


 I thought that the best thing about this sandwich was the bread itself, a delicious caraway rye, grilled to crunchy, crumbly perfection. The Russian Dressing was also quite good. Unfortunately, I found the pastrami a bit chewy and with coleslaw replacing sauerkraut in this version, the sandwich lacked the tang that I enjoy so much. Also, at $15, with no side-of-anything included other than a tiny helping of a fairly insipid Israeli cous cous salad, I found this Reuben pretty over-priced. I may be accused of being picky here, but when I'm eating in a Danny Meyer restaurant, I think I have a right to expect an almost obsessive-compulsive attention to detail.

The house-made lemonade, however, was perfect.

 

All that being said, let me counter that review with this thought...



There is a wine bar right around the corner from my apartment. I took note of it on the very first day I moved into the neighborhood and vowed to visit it one day. I finally got around to stopping in and was delightfully surprised to discover that it's SOUTH AFRICAN !!! South African owners & staff, South African wine, South African music and South African food. 


The menu at Kaia Wine Bar
It's a perfect place to lounge away a Sunday evening, slowly surfing through the New York Sunday Times and enjoying a glass of wine. And the bison meatballs were delicious !!!


New York is in bloom and every tiny splash of colour is a welcome relief from the grey stone surroundings.


Sorry about your spring snow storm, Calgary


This building used to host a large Mary Poppins banner.
It seems to be our turn.
Everything is bigger in New York.

1 comment:

xine says said...

Should have read your blog BEFORE I went to NY. We could have gone Ruben hunting together! Alas! Glad you're enjoying the new city.