Monday, October 31, 2011

THE LAST ROAR

It was, admittedly, a surreal experience to arrive back in Singapore after 5 days of tranquility, sleep, and then crawl out of bed to do the final two Sunday shows. It was nice to feel rested, but my body wasn't happy about doing that Sunday morning warm-up after getting used to sprawling around the villa for almost a week. Also, the energy of the company on the final day was off the charts, as were the emotional levels. Our final two audiences were positively rabid and started cheering the moment the houselights went down. To do two performances in the vortex of that kind of adrenaline and high-octane emotion is exhilarating and exhausting all at the same time.

But now, it's done, and in another week, after some sweat and cursing from the crew, it will be put to bed. Already, much of the cast has passed through Changi airport on their way to various corners of the world. Having checked out of my apartment at the appointed hour, I am now parked, for one last time, at my favourite bar, South Coast (or, as I've come to think of it, my other office) until heading to the airport this evening.


The crew pulled a beautiful closing-day prank
by filling the Stage Management office
with balloons


The final warm-up



Confetti cannons during the final bow


And Singapore provides me with one, final lesson in Singlish

*****
 "...and where the journey may lead me....I cannot stay here, my family, but I'll remember my pride..."

1 comment:

Komickrazi said...

Sad to see you are done with Lion King, but I look forward to your exploits from your next show.

Although late... in honor of the ending of your Singapore show, I finished MY Scar cosplay costume: http://komickrazi.blogspot.com/2011/12/scar-head-lion-king-musical-complete.html

Thanks again for your blog photos and Videos. They were really helpful for some of the finer details of the costume.