Saturday, July 16, 2011

SIT OUT

I'm such an idiot. I completely forgot one of the main topics, one of the main reasons, for my last blog post because I got so carried away rambling on about cherries, dragonflies and Bintan.

I finally had my 'sit-out' one Saturday matinee not too long ago. This means that James, my first cover, goes on in my role and I get to sit in the audience and watch the show. This gives him a chance to actually do the show with an audience, and gives me a chance to see the show from out front, like a real person.


It was an intense and moving experience for me. Of course we all want the shows we're in to be good (and we know when they're not!), but I sat there thinking, "This IS good. This is a really, really good show". In fact, it's such a good show that I realized at one point that I had forgotten that I knew all the people on stage. It wasn't Andrew and Puleng up there performing, it was Simba and Nala telling me a story that I was totally wrapped up in. And, as usual for me, I was constantly amazed, overwhelmed, humbled and moved by the incredible talent, passion and beauty emanating from the stage, ...which caused me to weep every 20 minutes.

Overall, it was thrilling, and such a good reminder of what it feels like to sit in the dark and watch this epic, this magic unfold before your eyes. My performance that night had a whole new energy and life to it.

Thank you, Lion King company, for an exhilarating afternoon. I won't forget it.

No comments: