Monday, January 10, 2011

EPIC DAY FOR AN EPIC PLAY

OH MY GOD what a day. I mean, really, ... OH EM GEE! Or, as they say in Singapore, WAH LAU! Today I have been terrified, humbled, thrilled, transported, elated and moved to tears. Sometimes simultaneously.

The day began with a press event for the Singapore media. High profile (and slightly high pressure) event. We were introduced to several of the prominent people at the top of the production food chain, people who have been, up to now, just names on paper. One of those people was Anne from Disney Theatricals. She took the stage and spoke not to the pr
ess, but to us. Her aim, clearly, was to invigorate and excite us about the production by letting us know, in no uncertain terms, that we have all been carefully hand-picked to represent the best of each of our countries and the best of all previous productions. In her words, "the best of the best". (Epic memorable moment #1)

Our Director John Stefaniuk then requested that a microphone be passed up and down the rows of the theatre so that each person could introduce themselves, say where they're from, what they're role is and what productions of Lion King they've done before. It finally hit home to me, and I think to all of us, what a truly international cast and crew we are. Together, we are comprised of people from South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, U.S.A., Canada, Philippines, Britain, Germany, France,
Belgium, Italy, India, Malaysia, Brazil, Switzerland and Singapore. With each introduction and as each new country was announced, the energy in the room grew to a palpable buzz. (Epic memorable moment #2) That energy was ultimately released with the climax (no pun intended) of the event, the company gathering on stage to sing "Circle Of Life". There are a few of us that do not sing in the number, including me. To be standing there, surrounded by those incredible, powerful, passionate voices as they sing the African savannah into existence is quite simply, electrifying.(Epic memorable moment #3) Here, I admit to shedding a tear.

The man who plays King Mufasa, my brother (from another mother, since I am the white lion) is a very tall, very well-built, very beautiful man named Jee-L. He has this incredible, calm, Shaman-like energy that surrounds him. Seeing my emotion and my nervousness, he threw his considerable arms around me and gave me the biggest, warmest, sincerest of hugs. (Epic memorable moment #4)

After a lunch break, a clothing change, and a few deep breaths, it was time to do the official first read/sing through! It became evident very quickly that every single person in the room is a talent power-house. When Mufasa sang, with a voice like honey, I forgot to breathe. When Rafiki mourned, I shivered. When Nala sang, my jaw dropped open. When the ensemble narrated the story in the languages of Africa, I felt a whole galaxy spinning at the centre of my being. (Epic memorable moments #5 thru 8,200) Even the six kids who will divide the roles of young Nala and young Simba were amazing. (And they were no slouches at working the media at the press conference either!)

Even though I rode the rodeo pony of emotions throughout the day, there was one clear thru-line from beginning to end: The generosity, openness and 'welcoming-in' from every single person I've met so far. Without exception. And I STILL haven't met them all! That will take some time. But you, at least, can start meeting a few of them.


Jee-L, Scar's brother the King Mufasa, France

Laveena, Shenzi, the bad-ass hyena, New Zealand
Michael, Ed, the laughing hyena, South Africa
Two of the 3 hyenas who are Scar's Majors Domo

Jamie, Timon the meerkat, New Zealand
Pierre, Pumbaa the warthog, South Africa
The comedy team


Lyall, Zazu the hornbill, South Africa
Mufasa's Major Domo

Until the next...

1 comment:

Shauna and MacLean said...

Patrick this is shauna and macLean from n-o-t-l. I am moved by your blog update and had goosebumps while I read about the singing of the circle of life. Oh how we wished we lived closer to come and see you in such an epic production. We look forward to following along and good luck!! All I can say is WOW