Sunday, August 15, 2010

TOO SOON FOR THE ACTORS' NIGHTMARE

Since I don't start my contract until January, it seems a bit early to be having the classic actors' nightmare which usually doesn't start until rehearsals are underway. Nonetheless...

I dream that I have to start my Lion King contract early but the news, of course, comes so suddenly that I have no time to learn the lines. The show is already in previews but is being performed without make-up, minimal costumes and unfinished sets. I am sitting in the front row of a theatre in my 'costume' (some weird get-up that seems awkward and uncomfortable) watching the opening of the show, waiting for my entrance. The show looks terribly amateur, with half-finished back-drops and thrown-together costumes and I am frozen with terror, being unsure when my entrance happens.

I go up the aisle to the lobby of the theatre and find Sandra Shamas who is, apparently, the stage manager of the show. We realize that I don't even have my microphone on yet and, as I didn't have time to put my contact lenses in and am still wearing my glasses, she decides to tape the mic to the arm of my glasses. The rest of the cast is horrified and thinks this is a terrible idea. An argument ensues.

There. Perhaps it's out of my system now?

No comments: